From 1 July 2022, individuals who hold a Temporary Skill Shortage visa in the short-term stream will be able to apply for permanent residence via the Temporary Residence Transition Stream of the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) if they:
(1) Were in Australia for at least 12 months between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021 and;
(2) at the time of application, are employed by a person actively and lawfully operating a business in Australia.
This legislative change applies to Short Term TSS visa holders as well, meaning that these visa holders now have a pathway to permanent residence that they did not have previously!
What does this mean and what you need to know if your eligible? Were you in Australia for at least 12 months between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021?If the answer is yes, that means you can apply for a 186 Permanent Residency, regardless of your occupation after 3 years on a 482 visa. Including if you already have a 482/457 or will apply for a 457/482.
- I have been working as a Hairdresser for the last 2 years on a 482 visa, can i get PR? You can extend your 482 for 12 more months, and in 12 months you can apply for a 186 Transitional PR as you will have a total of 3 years experience
- I have already been on a 457 for nearly 4 years as a Sales and Marketing Manager, can i apply for PR? As you have already met the 3 year requirement for a 186 visa, you can apply for PR after 1 July 2022!
- I am a Restaurant Manager, and have been working on a Covid or Student visa for the last 2 years, can I get PR? If you can ask your employer to sponsor you on a 482 visa as a Cafe Manager, in 3 years you can apply for a 186 Transitional Visa!
For more information you can make an appointment with one of our Senior Partners by visiting solvemigration.com or simply reply to this email. We are available in our offices in Sydney, Manly, Perth or Online.