This visa is for a person who is not a New Zealand citizen but is a member of a family unit of a New Zealand citizen. This visa lets you live and work in Australia for five years and can be renewed
To be eligible for the NZ Citizen Family Relationship (Subclass 461) visa, you must:
- You need to be an eligible family member of someone living in Australia on a Subclass 444 or be travelling to Australia with a family member who will be granted a Subclass 444 on arrival.
- You are not a New Zealand citizen.
- You must be related to the New Zealand citizen as one of the following:
- their partner
- their (or their partner’s) dependent child
- the dependent child of their (or their partner’s) dependent child
- their (or their partner’s) relative who meets all the following:
- is widowed, divorced, separated, or has never married or entered a de facto relationship
- is usually resident in the Special Category visa holder’s household
- is dependent on the Special Category visa holder
- meet the health and character requirements set by DHA
- not have any debt to the Australian government
You can renew your visa, even if your relationship with the primary visa holder has ended provided that:
- You have maintained Australian residency; you must have been in Australia for a total of at least two years in the last five years
- You continue to meet standard health and character requirements
- You do not become the member of a family of another person (other than another Special Category visa holder)
- If you are currently outside Australia, you held this visa when you left Australia
you will be able to stay in Australia for 5 years after the visa grant.
you can live, work, and study anywhere in Australia.
you can include your family members in your application.
you can travel to and from Australia multiple times.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! Solve Migration’s professional legal team can support you through the Subclass 461 application and approval process. Solve Migration has 20+ years’ experience in Immigration industry and can help you with all kinds of visa.
For this visa, the standard cost for a primary applicant is $385 for the main applicant. There is also a fee charged for every family member who applies for this visa with you. There is a $195 fee for members of the family unit over 18 years of age and AUD95 for those under 18 who make a combined application with the main applicant.
You may also be required to pay other costs associated with health checks, police clearances, biometrics, and other selection criteria.
You’ll only be charged if the Department of Home Affairs grants the visa. Please reach out to us if you need help estimating the complete visa cost for you and your family.
Please note that you will need to enter Australia before the last date specified on your Visa Grant Letter.
The typical processing times for the Subclass 461 visa are currently:
- 25% of applications: 7 months
- 50% of applications: 19 months
- 75% of applications: 23 months
- 90% of applications: 30 months
Solve Migration, your partner in success.
At Solve Migration, we understand the importance of quality legal support in helping you navigate migration law and visa law concerns. Our team of qualified lawyers is proud to support clients across the country, working in line with the Immigration Act Australia.
Ready to get started?
We’ll get back to you soon as soon as possible.