about visa

subclass 820

The Partner Visa (Subclass 820) is a temporary visa. This visa gives a pathway to permanent partner visa Subclass 801. This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible citizen of New Zealand to live in Australia temporarily.


eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible for the Partner Visa (Subclass 820) visa, you must:

  • not have a cancelled visa or refused application
  • not hold particular regional visas
  • be present in Australia when you apply for this visa
  • be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • have a sponsor
  • meet the health requirements set by DHA
  • meet the character requirement
  • not have any debt to the Australian government

Application Process

In order to apply for the Partner Visa (Subclass 820), you will need to:

  • lodge a combined application for Subclass 820
  • provide documents such as marriage certificate or Relationship Registration Certificate, where applicable
  • provide at least two form 888 which are statutory declarations provided by witnesses testifying that your relationship is genuine
  • prove that your relationship with your Australian partner is genuine and is in accordance with the visa grant requirements. 
  • prove the financial aspect of your relationship. The department can assess your application financially if you jointly own major assets such as real estate, share financial responsibilities and/or combine your financial resources.
  • prove the social aspect of your relationship. The department can assess your application in social aspect if your relationship known to third parties, for example, to


You may be required to supply further supporting documents for assessment by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).


visa benefits


you will be able to stay in Australia temporarily until you get your Subclass 801 grant


you can live, work, and study anywhere in Australia.


you will be able to enrol in Australia’s Medicare system for public health care.


you van attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program if you are eligible.


you can travel to and from Australia as many times you want.

Frequently asked questions

Can Solve Migration help with Partner Visa (Subclass 820) applications?

Yes! Solve Migration’s professional legal team can support you through the Subclass 820 application and approval process. Solve Migration has experience across all family visas including offshore and onshore Partner Visas. Solve Migration’s experience on these matters travel beyond only lodgment with many successful appeals on complex matters before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal in matters concerning citizenship.

What is the cost to apply for this visa?

For this visa, costs for this application differ depending on your circumstances and which visa you hold. For most applicants the standard cost for a primary applicant is $7,850 AUD. If you previously held a Prospective Marriage visa (Subclass 300) but didn’t apply for the subclass 820 and 801 visas before that visa expired the cost is AUD 1,660 for the main applicant.

You may also be required to pay other costs associated with health checks, police clearances, biometrics, and other selection criteria.

You’ll only be charged if the Department of Home Affairs grants the visa. Please reach out to us if you need help estimating the complete visa cost for you and your family.

Please note that you will need to enter Australia before the last date specified on your Visa Grant Letter.

How long will processing take?

The typical processing times for the Subclass 820 visa are currently:

  • 25% of applications: 6 months
  • 50% of applications: 9 months
  • 75% of applications: 21 months
  • 90% of applications: 33 months.
Can I still apply for a Partner Visa if I currently don’t hold an Australian Visa?
You will be still able to apply if you satisfy conditions for Schedule 3 of the Migration Regulations 1994. To put it simply, there should be reasons to convince and thoroughly explain to the Department of Home Affairs.
Can I work in Australia if the visa is granted?

Yes, Partner Visa holders have full work rights in Australia.

How can I obtain Permanent Residency with this visa?

In some cases, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) may approve the Permanent Residency stage at the same time as the subclass 820 visa. If the DHA does not, you will be able to provide further information for the Permanent Partner (subclass 801) visa exactly 2 years after your original Partner Visa lodgement, as long as your Partner Visa has been granted.

Can I include my children in my Partner Visa application?
Yes, you can include your children in your application as long as they are dependent on you. If your children are over 18 years old, they need to be fully financially dependent on you.

Your pathway to Permanent Residency (PR)

Solve Migration, your partner in success.

At Solve Migration, we understand the importance of quality legal support in helping you navigate migration law and visa law concerns. Our team of qualified lawyers is proud to support clients across the country, working in line with the Immigration Act Australia.


Ready to get started?



Level 5, 55 Miller Street,
Pyrmont NSW

+61 2 9252 0449


12 Sydney Road,
Manly NSW

+61 2 9252 0449


Level 8,
251 Adelaide Terrace
Perth WA 6000

+61 8 6182 1888


Level 40,
140 William Street,
Melbourne VIC 3000

+61 2 9252 0449

Gold Coast

2409/5 Lawson Street,
Southport QLD

+61 8 6182 1888

Enquire Now

We’ll get back to you soon as soon as possible.

Let's Discuss Your Visa Matter

Request a Call back or Leave an Enquiry