In order to be eligible for the Skilled Independent Visa Stream (Subclass 189) points-tested stream, you must:
- be under the age of 45
- be invited to apply by a relevant authority
- be able to demonstrate evidence of desirable skills
- work in a field listed on the desired skills list
- meet English language, health, and character requirements
- have no outstanding debt to the Australian government
- have not previously had a visa cancelled or refused.
To be eligible for the New Zealand stream, you must:
- hold a New Zealand Special Category (Subclass 444) visa
- have lived in Australia for the past 5 years or more
- demonstrate skills desirable to the Australian job market
To be eligible for the Hong Kong or British National stream, you must:
- hold a Hong Kong or British National (Overseas) passport
- meet a variety of visa requirements
- meet a variety of residency requirements.
In order to apply for the Skilled Independent Visa Stream (Subclass 189) visa, you will need to provide documentation relating to:
- your age and identifying details
- educational qualifications
- evidence of professional skills
- proof of English-language proficiency and good health
- evidence of your visa eligibility.
You may be required to provide additional documents for assessment by the Department of Home Affairs.
you will be able to stay in Australia permanently.
you can live and work in Australia without restriction.
you can sponsor eligible relatives for Australian residence.
If eligible, you can apply to become an Australian citizen.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! The experienced legal team at Solve Migration is equipped to help with all steps in the application process for Subclass 189 visas.
If desired, you can submit your own Subclass 189 application. However, you’ll need to have a good understanding of migration law, as a mistake could be worth thousands. If you plan on self-submitting your Subclass 189 application, we recommend getting a professional document check first. If you’d like help submitting your application, contact our professional legal team.
For this visa, the standard primary applicant cost is $4,240 AUD. You may also be required to pay other costs associated with health checks, police clearances, biometrics, and other selection criteria.
You’ll only be charged if the Department of Home Affairs grants the visa. Please reach out to us if you need help estimating the complete visa cost for you and your family.
Please note that you will need to enter Australia before the last date specified on your Visa Grant Letter.
The typical processing times for the Subclass 189 visa are currently:
- 25% of applications: 23 months
- 50% of applications: 25 months
- 75% of applications: 36 months
- 90% of applications: 39 months
Solve Migration, your partner in success.
At Solve Migration, we understand the importance of quality legal support in helping you navigate migration law and visa law concerns. Our team of qualified lawyers is proud to support clients across the country, working in line with the Immigration Act Australia.
Ready to get started?
We’ll get back to you soon as soon as possible.